Sunday, January 3, 2016

Fran: 2016 New Challenge Throwdown!

It's a new year and I won the alphabet challenge (not that there's a winner, or a prize, or anyone who doesn't win  because, hey! reading) so I'm throwing down a new challenge.

Twenty seconds of research determines that there are LOTS of reading challenges out there.  This page lists 9 of them.  Lots of folks are doing this one, which is a good way to start a reading challenge as it is short and has lots of leeway.


I think I might do this one as it allows for some leeway and has some suggestions for places to start (and by the way, I'd really welcome suggestions!):
  • A book by a woman under 25
  • A book on non-Western history
  • A book of essays
  • A book on indigenous people (broadly defined, culture of your choice, fiction or non-fiction)
  • A book before you see the movie
  • A YA (young adult) book by a person of color
  • A book set in the Middle East
  • A book about women in war (again, broadly defined)
  • A graphic novel written by a woman
  • A book about an immigrant or refugee to the United States
  • A children's book aloud (I'm going to expand this to any book to my children)
  • A favorite children's book revisited
  • A memoir from someone who identifies as LBGTQIA
  • A book of Post-Apocalyptic fiction by a woman
  • A book of feminist sci-fi
  • The first book in a series I've never read before
  • A book set in Africa by an African author
  • A book in translation
  • A book of contemporary poetry
  • A book by a modernist female author (20th c. greats like HD, or Hurston, Barnes, Radclyffe Hall, etc.)
Do this one.  Do a different one.  Finish the one you started, slackers. 
Keep reading, peeps!

1 comment:

  1. I'll try to write up my thoughts on the 2015 AtoZ Challenge soon. I don't plan to do another this year, but perhaps I will keep blogging books that I read, and maybe at the end of the year I will come up with a checklist that I covered all of...

    ReplyDelete